Monday, May 16, 2022

50 Years!

 

            Sometime in June of 1972 I graduated from Annandale High School.  The school was “Inside the Beltway,” just a handful of miles from Washington, DC in the Virginia suburbs.  At the time, there were some 2,500 students attending the school, probably 99% Caucasian.  High achievement was expected, practically everyone graduated, and almost as many were college-bound.

            A Baccalaureate Service was held at the National Cathedral in Washington prior to the commencement ceremony, which took place at the Wolf Trap performing arts center.  I have no recollection of the ceremony, the keynote speaker, or anything else related to it, except probably tapping my foot waiting for it to end.  Wolf Trap burned down shortly thereafter, but soon was rebuilt.

            In the half-century since that more-than-likely steamy night, I have had some form of occasional interaction with maybe 8 to 10 of my 600+ classmates.  Anything close to regular contact has been limited to just a couple of them, and there were decades of no contact even with them.   Only in very recent years has the frequency increased.

            There is a class website which I joined out of curiosity. Looking at the “Now” photos of those who dare to post them, I would never recognize almost all of those people if I were to encounter them.  A number of the names are somewhat familiar, but so many of the others have slipped from memory.  I have not attended any class reunions held in the past.  According to the website, the big 50 YEAR REUNION! will be held in October.  They will have to get along without me.

            My experience at the school was pleasant enough, and I had fun with my friends.  I was in the Symphonic Band, played on the baseball team, and was the manager of the school store for a couple of years.  I attended some of the school dances, went to football games when I was in the marching band, and sometimes watched basketball games.  I was close to a couple of teachers and received encouragement from a few others.  Most of my teachers now are deceased, as are some of my classmates, and I only recall returning to the campus to baseball practice a time or two when I was home from college, playing in summer league games that were on the school field, and attending a ceremony to dedicate and name the baseball field in memory of my coach.

            I have nothing against the school or my classmates.  It just isn’t part of my life anymore.  So much has happened since then, I have lived in numerous locations and become acquainted with countless other people.

            Fifty years is a long time. Laying out hundreds of dollars and driving for several hours in order to spend time with strangers does not hold any appeal to me.  For those who have stayed in the area, and/or kept in touch with the school and classmates, and choose to attend, however, I say, “Have fun.” 

Maybe I’ll show up for the 75th reunion…

No comments:

Post a Comment